Tuesday, May 8, 2012

An Explanation and Introduction

Greetings,

Some time ago I began a project in order to transform a fencing manual from Modern English into Early Modern English (EModE). This project has since grown to an investigation of the language and its particular elements. My first couple of explanations of this project were written as blogs on my fencing blog (http://afencersramblings.blogspot.com.au/) and will be used as the first couple of entries in this blog.

This blog is designed as an investigation into the language for the same idea that it was proposed for, but also as my interest in the language has grown over time. I am in the process of constructing a lexicon of Elizabethan English using documents only from the period 1558 - 1603, and it is this period which this investigation presented here will focus. As such while there will be information on EModE present in the blogs due to the nature of Elizabethan English, the focus will be on the latter rather than the former.

Of importance with regard to this particular investigation is that it is my own investigation and as such the subject matter which appears here forms part of my research into the language. I will at no point in time be claiming to know it all or be presenting all there is to know. These blogs form my own organisation of my thoughts into a written form to make it easier for me to access more than anything else. I am sure that there is a great deal more information available, but at this point in time and understanding of the language and how it was used and the rules associated are more important for the final outcome. All this being said, it is my hope that you, the reader will find what you see here to be informative and at least a little entertaining.

Cheers,

Henry.

No comments:

Post a Comment