Sunday, February 2, 2014

Modern Version 2 Edited - Progress Update - 2 February 2014

Greetings,

Well I have gone through and completed editing in order to form version 2 of the modern version of the manual. The next bit will be to assemble it in its entirety and then work on the formatting. Make sure all the pagination is correct and things are where they are supposed to be.

The editing process was not all that hard considering the original was written in Present Day English (PDE), so in many ways it was actually doing the reverse of what I have done for the Elizabethan English (EE) version. In this case it was to modernise it, to remove some of the older expressions which I used to prod my way toward the EE version and make it more readable for the modern audience. I am getting to the situation that while the EE version will be of use to some the PDE will be read a lot more. This will no doubt be because it will be far easier to read and also to understand.

Part of the process of modernisation included shortening of paragraphs so that it was easier to read. This meant that the reader now gets the information in shorter, sharper pieces rather than the longer discourse of the EE version. This process also included the addition of headings and sub-headings, once again for easier reading of the text and immediate reference to exactly what the section is about. This was designed to transform the text into a more useable format for the reader, so that the information presented can be used in a practical sense.

The other major part of the process was the inclusion of diagrams in parts of the text to specifically point out what is being indicated. These are modern diagrams, developed by myself for the most part, designed to give a graphical representation of some of the words which were written. There are further diagrams that I would have liked to have added however either I was not able to access "free access" version or did not have the skill to produce them myself. This is going to prove the truly interesting part should I decide to include images in the EE version.

My plan is to assemble Version 2 of the PDE version in the next couple of weeks. The next part of the process will be to move on to Version 2 of the EE version, which I think is actually going to be a more tricky prospect as I have intention of doing much the same as I have for the PDE version, but making more appropriate to the period for which I have been aiming. The images are going to be really tricky quite frankly.

Cheers,

Henry.

No comments:

Post a Comment